Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I claim non t4 small business income and expenses?

have t4 and t2200 from my employer. i also have a personal small business i need to report.
1 Reply

Where do I claim non t4 small business income and expenses?

Please view our TurboTax video on how to include your work from home expenses. Where do I claim my employment expenses in TurboTax Online?

Here are the instructions for reporting your small business income and expenses:

1. Sign in to your TurboTax account. 

2. Go into your tax return.

• Use the Find icon (magnifying glass) on the top right by writing Self-Employment, choosing it then clicking Go.
  • You will be asked if you have any expenses to report: answer Yes then Continue.
  • There is a checklist on what you need to fill out.
  • The first page will ask you to click on Enter New Business.
  • The second page begins with the basics of work for example the business name and address and certain numbers that you'll know about the business. Always click Continue to save your entry.
  • The third page is about the industry code that you use for your business.
  • The Fourth Page is about the year-end adjustment for example if you don't have a December 31st fiscal year period for your business or work, T1139 is used to calculate additional income amounts. If you have a December 31st fiscal year click no.
  • Next,  your business might apply in one of these categories, Business Partners, or earns income from websites and web pages or you can skip other information.
  • Then you fill out the necessary information for your self-employment.
  • Click Continue.
  • The business income Portion is what you'll be looking for.
  • The business will ask you if you have work-related Vehicle expenses before your business work expenses.

For more information please see our TurboTax article: Filing Taxes as a Self-Employed Small Business Owner

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.