Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why am I being asked to upgrade to TurboTax Deluxe (from Free version) to simply input Union or Professional Fees (FYI - these dues do not appear on my T4 in Box 44)?

4 Replies

Why am I being asked to upgrade to TurboTax Deluxe (from Free version) to simply input Union or Professional Fees (FYI - these dues do not appear on my T4 in Box 44)?

This year, TurboTax is taking extra steps to ensure that Canadians have access to the features that will help them get the best tax outcome by broadening its product line up and directing users to the version of TurboTax that aligns with their tax situation. We’ve expanded our lineup and tailored each version of TurboTax to address the complexity of various levels of filers. This year, when you file with TurboTax, you will be directed to the version that best suits your needs based on complexity, to ensure you are getting the best possible tax outcome for the best value. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Raman1 ... thank you for at least Replying with a kind of a rationale ... however, the apparent recent decision by Intuit / TurboTax to make the entry of seperately documented union dues (which do not appear in Box 44 of my T4 slip) in the online TurboTax Free version result in a mandatory / forced upgrade to TurboTax Deluxe is a deviation  from the spirit of the Free version program, IMO.  My employment income for 2021 was 19,109.15 and I was required to pay 551.22 in union dues ... I think I fit the 'low income' qualifying profile, as recognized by Intuit / TurboTax, that has been in place for a number of years now.  To forgo entering these union dues will cost me 141.71, so, I guess Intuit has me by the balls ... so ... perhaps they will reap their 19.99 out of me.  I'm temped to paper file and go through the extra legwork of entering a few numbers on sheets of papers ... I always used to do my own taxes manually but have been using the TurboTax Free version of late for convenience sake.

BONEYM

That's even for T4PS entry for 9 dollars. They want me to upgrade to deluxe, This is ridiculous 

I hear ya' BONEYM ... ridiculous is right.

Inclines one to ditch Intuit / TurboTax outright ...

... am I being spiteful?  Yes, perhaps I am ... the recent policy change (and the deafening silence [other than yourself] since Raman1 Replied two weeks ago) has left a bad taste in my mouth.