Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I have to upgrade to a deluxe package when I’m claiming how much child support I paid? I did the same thing last year and I didn’t have to do a deluxe return.

1 Reply

Why do I have to upgrade to a deluxe package when I’m claiming how much child support I paid? I did the same thing last year and I didn’t have to do a deluxe return.

Hi @dwilton291!

I understand it can be frustrating to upgrade from a product you used in prior years. 

Based on your return's complexity, and as our product offerings change, TurboTax will direct you to the software edition with all the applicable forms. The product you used previously may no longer be available to you as it’s not the most effective solution for your needs.

Some deductions (such as medical expenses, donations, or moving expenses) only impact your refund or tax owing in certain conditions, like if your income is below a certain level. To get you the best outcome, you need to enter all your tax information into TurboTax, which sometimes requires an upgrade.

Similarly, you may be upgraded to help claim expenses you’re entitled to, but might not know about. TurboTax guarantees that you’ll get your maximum refund or pay the lowest taxes owed.

I hope that helps!