Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need someone who knows K1 partnerships

Why can I not put a negative number the K1 form part III Line 1 & 2 accept negative numbers? It's designated as a profit or loss line.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

The income lines in Part III of Schedule K-1 (K-1 Partner worksheet) accept negative numbers, which denote a loss.  Have you checked one of the boxes to what type of activity is reported on this K-1?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes. I was able to get a hold of 2 different tax preparers on the 14th. We went through every combination but couldn't get it to accept a negative number. It does say in the step by step that the number in line 2 must be a positive number, which doesn't make sense if you have a loss for the business. Neither tax preparer could fix the issue or tell me what I should do differently. Finally, the second tax preparer checked the generated K-1 and all the calculations were correct, so we agreed that I would file it with that error, since it was only on a worksheet.

However, when I went to file it, I then got other errors that I didn't have before. Reviewing the forms I also realized that the accountant who prepared the K-1 sent to us, didn't give us a number to put into line 20 code Z. I called him but he was gone and won't be back until Apr 29th. 

I filed for an extension. So, if you'd like to work with me on the line 2 issue, I'd appreciate the insite. Just let me know when and whether you'll call me or I should call you. Anytime around 4 pm or after works for me.

Thank you
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies