Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mark51

Non-resident Canadian with QC rental income. Do I need to pay provincial taxes on my foreign income?

I moved to a tax free country in 2006 and have my declaration of non-residency. no ties whatsoever.  However, last year I bought a rental property in QC.  I understand I will pay federal taxes on the net rental income. I’m confused as to if I need to also pay taxes in QC AND/OR pay taxes on my world revenues.  

6 Replies

Non-resident Canadian with QC rental income. Do I need to pay provincial taxes on my foreign income?

25% of Net Rental Income is to be paid, the rules are the same for Quebec.

Please see below from TurboTax Tips for more information on non-resident rental income obligations.

What Are the Tax Requirements for Non-Residents Who Earn Rental Income?

Mark51

I must have formulated my question wrong. I was talking about Income taxes and not GST/PST.  I believe I found the answer below but will double check with a CPA versed in expat taxation. https://www.revenuquebec.ca/en/citizens/your-situation/residence-status-and-income-tax/obligations-o...

I do apologize, I realized I did not give you the correct answer after I had sent it. After researching, please see revised answer above. And YES that is an excellent link I will add it to the original answer as extra information.
Mark51

Thanks! It still seems like I need not pay anything in QC as it is not employment income, it is not from business operations, and I did not dispose of the property (hopefully never).

I would suggest you contact them directly for clarity.  Here is the link to reach them:

https://www.revenuquebec.ca/en/contact-us/general-information-individuals/
Mark51

Just to confirm, I called Revenu Quebec and they confirmed that a non resident individual does NOT have to declare their world revenues, NOR report their rental property income and expenses for income tax purposes.  That would be a different scenario if the person had their rental property as an enterprise.