Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A person passed away in January 2016. He had a carry forward from 2014 of $5000 of capital losses. Can I enter this loss on his 2015 return and how would I enter it ?

Would I have to wait for January 2017 enteret his loss against any capital gains at disposition of the property sold deemed on the date of death?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
fuzzy

A person passed away in January 2016. He had a carry forward from 2014 of $5000 of capital losses. Can I enter this loss on his 2015 return and how would I enter it ?

You will have to wait until you file his final return ie Jan 2017.  However, if there are taxable capital gains that are being reported on his 2015 return, you can choose either to claim some of these capital losses up to the amount of the taxable capital gains being reported for 2015 or carry all of them forward. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
fuzzy

You will have to wait until you file his final return ie Jan 2017.  However, if there are taxable capital gains that are being reported on his 2015 return, you can choose either to claim some of these capital losses up to the amount of the taxable capital gains being reported for 2015 or carry all of them forward.