Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I eligible for First home buyer if I bought my condo end July 2016?

I live in the province of Québec and I paid rent from January 2016 to July 2016 and a home owner end of July 2016.  Should I get a slip for the rent I paid for 7months?  Also am I eligible to claim first home buyer tax credit for 2016?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Hello

Provided you meet the CRA requirements below you will be able to make the claim.

Line 369 – Home buyers' amount

You can claim $5,000 (note this equates to a $750 credit) for the purchase of a qualifying home in 2016 if both of the following apply:

• you or your spouse or common-law partner acquired a qualifying home; and
  • you did not live in another home owned by you or your spouse or common-law partner in the year of acquisition or in any of the four preceding years (first-time home buyer).

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Hello

Provided you meet the CRA requirements below you will be able to make the claim.

Line 369 – Home buyers' amount

You can claim $5,000 (note this equates to a $750 credit) for the purchase of a qualifying home in 2016 if both of the following apply:

• you or your spouse or common-law partner acquired a qualifying home; and
  • you did not live in another home owned by you or your spouse or common-law partner in the year of acquisition or in any of the four preceding years (first-time home buyer).