Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a nonresident alien(on a J1 visa) claim a full personal tax credit in Canada? moved to USA on June 6,2021

2 Replies

Can a nonresident alien(on a J1 visa) claim a full personal tax credit in Canada? moved to USA on June 6,2021

Deemed residents and non-residents can claim the federal basic personal tax credit plus other applicable tax credits. For non-residents, the amount of non-refundable tax credits allowed depends on whether Canadian source-income is 90 percent or more of total world income for the year.

(If you earned more than 10% outside Canada, you won’t be eligible to earn any tax free income in Canada)

Normally you don't need to file taxes in Canada if the Canada Revenue Agency considers you a non-resident, and if you are not receiving any income from Canadian sources.

For more information, please click: 

Canada Revenue Agency(CRA) Income Tax and Benefit Guide for Non-Residents and Deemed Residents of Canada – 2021

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply, when I filed US tax, I did not get any tax credit there because of J1 visa, non-resident alien status there, technically , I am not able to get any personal tax credit from either of the country , Canada and US both.I had to file the Canadian tax because of Canadian income. I was thinking that if there is any solution for it.