Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
phantomiz

Can I claim a superficial tax loss if I only sell a portion of my stock? I have 2000 shares and I sell 1000 at a loss. I have held this company for more than 5 years.

I have held this company for more than 5 years.  I have 2000 shares and I sell 1000 shares at a loss.  Can I claim the loss for those 1000 shares and in the future, if I sell the remaining shares at a loss, can I also claim them? 

3 Replies

Can I claim a superficial tax loss if I only sell a portion of my stock? I have 2000 shares and I sell 1000 at a loss. I have held this company for more than 5 years.

Hi there, 

Yes you can claim the loss for those 1000 shares.  However you cannot buy back the stock for 30 days. 

phantomiz

Thank you.
phantomiz

How about if I have 2000 shares and buy 1000 more at $10 and sell 1000 the same day at $11.  Would I still be able to claim the loss?  My ACB is $18.