Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alvinyt

Can I claim my condo's property tax if someone else paid for me?

Me and my dad own a condo unit and share the ownership. Most of the time my dad pays for the property tax. 

"rent or property tax for your principal residence in Ontario was paid by or for you"

I live here, my dad does not, and is not used for business purposes. Can I claim the property tax even though its not necessarily me who is paying the property tax?

Thank you for your help 🙂

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

As long as the property tax paid pertains to a property that you own, you can claim the property tax paid with respect to that property.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

As long as the property tax paid pertains to a property that you own, you can claim the property tax paid with respect to that property.

alvinyt

thanks a lot Robert, if CRA asks for the probe then do I need to provide the bank account who pays for it? How about electricity bills? can I claim that to if someone is paying for me?

You can only claim expenses on a property if the property is generating income.  If you live in the property, the only claim that might  apply would be under the Ontario Energy and Property Tax Credit for property taxes paid.  As far as verifying the property taxes paid, a receipt from the Municipality that the property tax was paid to is best.
alvinyt

Okay. So the energy costs can only be claimed if the residence is on a reserved area, is this correct?

Your original question never specified what type of claim you were trying to make with respect to the property tax paid or electricity bills so I assumed you were asking about claiming them as deductions from income.