Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I get advise for the following question, I'm currently living outside of country and decared as non resident. I have a rental property, how do I file the tax?

1 Reply

Can I get advise for the following question, I'm currently living outside of country and decared as non resident. I have a rental property, how do I file the tax?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax,

For non-residents, income earned from rental properties and income from certain other investments is subjected to type XIII tax.

Non-residents do not need to submit tax returns reporting income subjected to type XIII tax. However, non-residents may elect to report rental income by filing form T1159  (Income Tax Return for Electing Under Section 216).

For example, if you are a non-resident receiving income through rental payments and an annuity, you may opt to report your rental income under Section 216, but you do not have to report your annuity payments on that form. On the other hand, you may opt not to file a return for either type of type XIII income.

Please see our TurboTax article on What Are the Tax Requirements for Non-Residents Who Earn Rental Income?    to learn more about your rental income as a non-resident.