Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jnj

Can you find how much money I have lost in the stock market I have reported it every year in my taxes but I don't know where to go to retrieve the total?

what is the total amount of money that I have lost in the stock market

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can you find how much money I have lost in the stock market I have reported it every year in my taxes but I don't know where to go to retrieve the total?

It should be listed on your notice of assessment.

Look for "Net Capital losses".

If you have a gain this year, you may be able to use some of the losses of other years. This you will find in the deductions and credits tab. Click on Losses. checkmark net capital loss carry forward. continue.

Enter applicable amounts in the years they incurred. continue.

capital gains inclusion 2000 - if you have a loss carried forward from 2000, this is where you enter the inclusion rate. Leave it zero if no amounts for the year 2000.

If you have gains reported for 2016, you will see the screen Net Capital Losses Being Claimed. Enter the amount of net capital losses you wish to claim on your 2016 return. Your claim must be less than your 2016 taxable capital gains of $xxx.xx

Enter the amount you wish to use.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

It should be listed on your notice of assessment.

Look for "Net Capital losses".

If you have a gain this year, you may be able to use some of the losses of other years. This you will find in the deductions and credits tab. Click on Losses. checkmark net capital loss carry forward. continue.

Enter applicable amounts in the years they incurred. continue.

capital gains inclusion 2000 - if you have a loss carried forward from 2000, this is where you enter the inclusion rate. Leave it zero if no amounts for the year 2000.

If you have gains reported for 2016, you will see the screen Net Capital Losses Being Claimed. Enter the amount of net capital losses you wish to claim on your 2016 return. Your claim must be less than your 2016 taxable capital gains of $xxx.xx

Enter the amount you wish to use.