Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I claim OEPTC if I live with my parents and they pay property tax?

It’s asking if the property tax of my primary residence was paid by or for me. My parents pay it as it is their house. Do I click yes, or does the primary residence have to belong to me?
1 Reply

Do I claim OEPTC if I live with my parents and they pay property tax?

Unfortunately, you are not eligible to claim the OEPTC as seen below.

The Ontario Energy and Property Tax Credit (OEPTC) assists low- to middle-income families with property taxes and goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax paid on energy. Apply for this tax credit if you qualify for either part. To be eligible, you must have paid property tax or rent for your principal residence in Ontario in the prior tax year, paid living expenses for a nursing home, paid energy costs while living on an Ontario reserve, or have lived in a designed post-secondary school residence in the prior year. 

To qualify, you must be a resident of Ontario on December 31, 2021, and at least one of the following at some time before June 1, 2023:

• 18 years of age or older
  • currently or previously married or in a common-law relationship
  • a parent who lives or previously lived with your child

and, in 2021, at least one of the following applied to you:

• you paid property tax for your main residence
  • you rented, and your landlord paid property tax for your main residence
  • you lived on a reserve and paid for your home energy costs
  • you lived in a public long-term care home (e.g., a seniors' home) and paid an amount for your accommodation

Please see our TurboTax article on Can you claim rent in Ontario?  to learn more about the OEPTC.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.