Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ftempler

Do I divide adjusted cost base when two people are selling a rental house?

My partner and I are selling a property we that was our principle residence for several years, but rented it out for the past few years.  When I enter the information into Turbo Tax, I am not sure if I split the Adjusted Cost Base and Outlays and Expenditures so that each of our returns reflects half, and split the proceeds in half as well?  I have tried it both ways (not splitting the Adjusted Cost Base /Outlays so each of us are calculated against the full thing, and then splitting it in half between each of us) but the tax calculation is just way off so I know there's a mistake.  So, in addition to knowing whether I should split adjusted cost base/outlays and expenses in half on the Turbo Tax forms to match the division of the proceeds, I wonder if you can also tell me if I need to somehow clear the form, as going back in and changing the data through the questionnaire doesn't seem to be changing the error either.

Thank you!

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When using Turbo Tax Desk Top version you will need to manually divide the amount for Proceeds, ACB and Expenses and enter this information for each spouse. The amount will be reported on the individual Schedule 3 of each tax filer.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

When using Turbo Tax Desk Top version you will need to manually divide the amount for Proceeds, ACB and Expenses and enter this information for each spouse. The amount will be reported on the individual Schedule 3 of each tax filer.