Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I pay capital gains tax now that I have moved back into a rental property. I purchased in 2010, rented it in 2011, moved back 2023.

1 Reply

Do I pay capital gains tax now that I have moved back into a rental property. I purchased in 2010, rented it in 2011, moved back 2023.

As per the CRA: When you change your rental or business property to a principal residence, you can elect to postpone reporting the disposition of your property until you actually sell it. However, you cannot make this election if you, your spouse or common-law partner, or a trust under which you or your spouse or common-law partner is a beneficiary has deducted CCA on the property for any tax year after 1984, and on or before the day you change its use.

When there is a change in use of a property you have, you may be considered to have sold all or part of your property even though you did not actually sell it. The following are some sample situations:

You change all or part of your principal residence to a rental or business operation
You change your rental or business operation to a principal residence
Every time you change the use of a property, you are considered to have sold the property at its fair market value and have immediately reacquired the property for the same amount. You have to report the resulting capital gain or loss (in certain situations) in the year the change of use occurs.

If the property was your principal residence for any year you owned it before you changed its use, you do not have to pay tax on any gain that relates to those years. You only have to report the gain that relates to the years your home was not your principal residence.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.