Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double tax relief on irish rental income

i have a rental property in ireland and pay taxes both here and in ireland but i have never claimed double taxation relief previously.

with CRA, can i claim for the years i've not claimed previously in current year return, or do i need to amend previous years CRA returns?

also, for my 2016 CRA return, do i claim for tax owed to ireland for 2016 liability, or the amount paid IN 2016, ie 2015's liability that was paid in 2016?

help much appreciated.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You will need to check out the Canada-Ireland tax treaty to see how rental income is to be handled. Ie is tax due at source. In the country where the income arises, or is it up to the receiving end to tax the income. The tax treaty is designed to avoid double taxation.

If the treaty states taxed at source, you can claim exemption from CRA tax on that income.
If the treaty states taxed on receipt, you can claim a Foreign Tax Credit for tax paid in Ireland.

Either way, for 2015 and earlier years you will need to file adjustments (T1-Adj.) for each year in question. Depending on the amount of money involved, you might be advised to get an accountant to help you come up to speed.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You will need to check out the Canada-Ireland tax treaty to see how rental income is to be handled. Ie is tax due at source. In the country where the income arises, or is it up to the receiving end to tax the income. The tax treaty is designed to avoid double taxation.

If the treaty states taxed at source, you can claim exemption from CRA tax on that income.
If the treaty states taxed on receipt, you can claim a Foreign Tax Credit for tax paid in Ireland.

Either way, for 2015 and earlier years you will need to file adjustments (T1-Adj.) for each year in question. Depending on the amount of money involved, you might be advised to get an accountant to help you come up to speed.

This is a good question , in same situation. Do you still fill in that you have a rental property, and where do you fill in that the income is exempt as it is taxed at source in Ireland? thanks