Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thechoos

Have lived in ON since mid 2018. Had to leave mid 2020 for another country. Can I put the rental address I had before I left ON on my tax form? Unsure of residency status

1 Reply

Have lived in ON since mid 2018. Had to leave mid 2020 for another country. Can I put the rental address I had before I left ON on my tax form? Unsure of residency status

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to provide you servicing. If you have lived in Ontario till 2020 and wish to have CRA the same address on your file, then you can use the same address of ON but if you have a new residence in another country then you can use the present address. 

In order to complete a Canadian tax return you must be eligible to file personal return. Following is eligibility for residency in Canada as per CRA. 

The most important thing to consider when determining your residency status in Canada for income tax purposes is whether or not you maintain, or you establish, residential ties with Canada.

Significant residential ties with Canada include:

Secondary residential ties that may be relevant include:

• personal property in Canada, such as a car or furniture
  • social ties in Canada, such as memberships in Canadian recreational or religious organizations
  • economic ties in Canada, such as Canadian bank accounts or credit cards
  • a Canadian driver's licence
  • a Canadian passport
  • health insurance with a Canadian province or territory

Your residency status if you normally, customarily, or routinely live in another country

• If you did not have significant residential ties with Canada and you lived outside Canada throughout the year (except if you were a deemed resident of Canada), you may be considered a non-resident of Canada
  • If you did not have significant residential ties with Canada and you stayed in Canada for less than 183 days in the tax year, you may be considered a non-resident of Canada

For further clarification, please contact CRA

1. For Business Enquiries: 1-800-959-5525.
  2. For Individual Tax Enquiries: 1-800-959-8281.
  3. For Benefit Enquiries: 1-800-387-1193.