Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello can i declare the interest i paid for my mortgage in 2020 ?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Thank you for choosing TurboTax,

Interests paid on a mortgage cannot be deducted unless this mortgage is paid on a property that is used for business. Then you will be able to deduct the business use portion only. As per CRA, if you use your home for your daycare business, you may be able to claim part of the home expenses.

Mortgage interest is one of the expenses that you can deduct if you use your home for your daycare business.

Please visit our TurboTax article on Is Interest Deductible? to learn more about deductible interest. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Thank you for choosing TurboTax,

Interests paid on a mortgage cannot be deducted unless this mortgage is paid on a property that is used for business. Then you will be able to deduct the business use portion only. As per CRA, if you use your home for your daycare business, you may be able to claim part of the home expenses.

Mortgage interest is one of the expenses that you can deduct if you use your home for your daycare business.

Please visit our TurboTax article on Is Interest Deductible? to learn more about deductible interest.