Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HI, I lived in Canada till August in 2020. I am currently living outside Canada. Should I file my return as a resident as I lived in Canada in 2020?

1 Reply

HI, I lived in Canada till August in 2020. I am currently living outside Canada. Should I file my return as a resident as I lived in Canada in 2020?

We're happy to guide you. Yes, whether you're residing inside Canada or not, for any income earned during your course of being resident in that particular tax year, you should file your return to Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). 

As per CRA: If you left Canada on a temporary basis and you meet any of the following, you'll continue to file your income tax returns;

• report all income you receive from sources inside and outside Canada for the year and claim all deductions that apply to you
  • claim all federal and provincial or territorial non-refundable tax credits that apply to you
  • pay federal tax and provincial or territorial tax for the province or territory where you keep residential ties
  • claim any federal and provincial or territorial refundable tax credits that apply to you
  • be eligible for the GST/HST credit (goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax), and Canada child benefit.

To learn more, see the article on Factual Residents by CRA.

However, if you've decided to leave Canada permanently, you're considered a non-resident but you can still file your taxes if:

• You owe tax
  • You want to receive a refund because you paid too much tax in the tax year.

See the full guidelines on Leaving Canada (As per CRA).

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.