Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SharkyCA
Returning Member

Home Accessibility Expenses, I rent from my sister who claims the disability credit, we added a bathroom, so I could move downstairs to allow for her home dialysis?

She is 76 and I am 71.
1 Reply

Home Accessibility Expenses, I rent from my sister who claims the disability credit, we added a bathroom, so I could move downstairs to allow for her home dialysis?

As per the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), a qualifying renovation is a renovation or alteration that is of an enduring nature and is integral to the eligible dwelling (including the land that forms part of the eligible dwelling). The renovation must meet one of the following conditions:

• allow the qualifying individual to gain access to, or be mobile or functional within, the dwelling
  • reduce the risk of harm to the qualifying individual within the dwelling or in gaining access to the dwelling

Since this renovation has not met either one of these conditions, you cannot claim an amount for home accessibility expenses.

For clarification, please contact the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) at 1-800-959-8281.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.