Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I claim the farm property capital gains exemption on the sale capital gain?

1 Reply

How do I claim the farm property capital gains exemption on the sale capital gain?

If you disposed of qualifying property during the year and want to claim your exemption, you will need to fill out Form T-657Calculation Of Capital Gains Exemption. The capital gain deduction will appear on line 25400.

To do so, you will need to know your:

• Proceeds of Disposition â€” The proceeds of disposition is the price you sold the property for, plus any fees associated with the sale.
  • Adjusted Cost Base â€” The adjusted cost base is the price you paid for it plus any capital improvements that you made.

You will also need to know what portion, if any, of the exemption you may have used in the past. If you don’t know this information, you can contact the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) at1-800-959-8281 and they will be able to provide this information. It can also be found on your CRA’s My Account online.

For more information, visit TurboTax webpage: Claiming the Lifetime Capital Gains Exemption (LCGE) 

Thank for choosing TurboTax.