Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to enter the sale of a rental property in 2021 tax program?

Just looking for how to enter the sale of a rental property in the 2021 program.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The details of your rental property sale are entered in TurboTax under the "Investments Profile". You can get there in the EasyStep view by:

• Go to Income & Expenses > Investments Profile > check the top box "Capital Gains or Losses"
  • Continue to the Capital Gains Profile page, check the top box "Sold stocks, bonds, real estate or other capital property", continue
  • Check done on the next screen 
  • Check box "Sold real estate & depreciable property" and continue to the page where you will be asked for these entries.

Thank you for using TurboTax

View solution in original post

2 Replies

The details of your rental property sale are entered in TurboTax under the "Investments Profile". You can get there in the EasyStep view by:

• Go to Income & Expenses > Investments Profile > check the top box "Capital Gains or Losses"
  • Continue to the Capital Gains Profile page, check the top box "Sold stocks, bonds, real estate or other capital property", continue
  • Check done on the next screen 
  • Check box "Sold real estate & depreciable property" and continue to the page where you will be asked for these entries.

Thank you for using TurboTax

Thank you.  I have another question. I have filled in the "Real Estate and Deprecible Property" info but ehrn I get to the Rental details there is form T776 asking for class, property id, proceeds and personal.

I believe the class is 1 and the address is for the next field but what is the figure for "proceeds" and "Personal"?