Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am being asked to calculate total costs for vehicle allowance for business but previous years my accountant only asked for km driven.said I could do it either way?

Is there no option on turbo tax to just enter km driven for business. my previous accountant said I could either do that or calculate all vehicle costs and then calculate percentage on business costs. but just doing km amount is so much easier. Cannot I not do that here?
2 Replies

I am being asked to calculate total costs for vehicle allowance for business but previous years my accountant only asked for km driven.said I could do it either way?

You are still able to enter KM driven, in order to do this please follow these steps:
  1. Sign in to your tax return
  2. On the left-hand side of your screen click on the Income tab
  3. Next click on the Employment Expenses tab
  4. Select Yes
  5. On this page select the bubble that applies to you and click Continue
  6. Check off the Motor Vehicle Expense box and click Continue
  7. At the top of this page, you can enter your vehicle expenses including KM driven 
  8. Click Done With Vehicle to save your information

For more information please refer to the following TurboTax article on Employment Vehicle Expenses:

Thank you for choosing TurboTax

thank you responding, unfortunately that doesn't seem to work. it asks me(after I chose that I didn't receive these T2200 or T2200S forms) to click that I didn't receive the above forms so my only choice is "I didn't receive from my employer" which I don't even have as I am self employed. So I choose that and it asks me if I've worked from home for at least 50% for a period of 4 consecutive weeks. I haven't because I don't work from home so I choose No, then it says at the bottom that it looks like you don't qualify for employment deductions for this year. Which is wrong. My job is using my vehicle. I just want to enter the KM I drove for business. That is all the info I was ever asked by my previous accountant and it was fine. I just want to know how to do that.