Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am closing my business this year and I have left over product that I couldn't sell. Where do I claim this amount as I have to pretty much toss it out.

1 Reply

I am closing my business this year and I have left over product that I couldn't sell. Where do I claim this amount as I have to pretty much toss it out.

You can consider this product "Shrinkage" which is an account that increases Cost of Goods Sold. Under this result, you would be reporting a higher expense for throwing out your product on your tax return. To do this: log into TurboTax Online:

> Choose your return for the year

> Under the "Find" magnifying glass, search "Business or Professional Activities" and click it.

> You will then choose your business, and click the "edit" button beside the one in question.

> Choose "Income and Inventory", then "Skip Income"

> Then you will be in the Inventory section. You will add the cost of all useless product and have two choices in how you can go about it.

1 - You can put the total cost as a difference between beginning inventory and ending inventory.

2 - You can simply put the total cost in "Other Costs".

Make sure to click "Continue" so that your information is saved. For more information, check out: Canada Revenue Agency - Inventory and Cost of Goods Sold

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.