Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am employed by a foreign country's Consulate in Canada, however I'm not exempt from income tax because of it. Does this still make me ineligible for the CAI tax credit?

2 Replies

I am employed by a foreign country's Consulate in Canada, however I'm not exempt from income tax because of it. Does this still make me ineligible for the CAI tax credit?

The CRA website says the following:

You cannot claim the CAI payment if at any time in 2018 you were any of the following:

• a non-resident of Canada
  • an officer or servant of the government of another country, such as a diplomat, or you were a family member who lived with such a person or an employee of such a person

From what you described, you are not eligible. 

You can read more here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-re...

Pranster
Returning Member

I work in the US as an IT administrator for a law enforcement agency.  I live in Ontario.  I file using Article XIX of the Canada/US tax treaty.  Can I claim Climate Action Incentive?