Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adpetras

I am using turbo tax standard and the carry loss from previous years doesnt reduce my current capital gains . also no chart 4 available

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am using turbo tax standard and the carry loss from previous years doesnt reduce my current capital gains . also no chart 4 available

In addition to indicating that you have a carry loss from previous years, you also need to indicate the amount you would like to claim for the current year. 

To indicate the amount you would like to claim, on the left hand side under Deduction => Losses, click on the Loss Profile. In the Loss Profile, make sure you selected that you have a Net Capital Loss Carry Forward. Continue through the steps and eventually it will also ask for how much loss you would like to claim this year. I've attached a couple of screenshots. Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

In addition to indicating that you have a carry loss from previous years, you also need to indicate the amount you would like to claim for the current year. 

To indicate the amount you would like to claim, on the left hand side under Deduction => Losses, click on the Loss Profile. In the Loss Profile, make sure you selected that you have a Net Capital Loss Carry Forward. Continue through the steps and eventually it will also ask for how much loss you would like to claim this year. I've attached a couple of screenshots. Hope this helps.