Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I assumed a mortgage in 2022, does this make me eligible for the first time home buyer tax credit?

2 Replies

I assumed a mortgage in 2022, does this make me eligible for the first time home buyer tax credit?

As per the Canada Revenue Agency "

You can claim up to $10,000 for the purchase of a qualifying home in 2022 if both of the following apply:

• You (or your spouse or common-law partner) acquired a qualifying home
  • You did not live in another home that you (or your spouse or common-law partner) owned in the year of acquisition or in any of the four preceding years (first-time home buyer)

For more information regarding the home buyers tax credit please visit Canada Revenue Agency

Thank you for choosing Turbo Tax

Only assuming a mortgage would not make you eligible for the Home Buyers' Tax Credit (HBTC), but if you mean you are a first-time homebuyer who purchased a qualifying home, you may be eligible as seen in our TurboTax FAQ: Who Can Benefit From the Home Buyers’ Amount?  There may also be other tax benefits available to you as a homeowner, such as deductions for mortgage interest and property taxes. 

For more information please visit the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) webpages below:

How to participate in the Home Buyers' Plan (HBP)

Home buyers' amount: Qualifying home

Thank  you for choosing TurboTax.