Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I came to Canada on WP in 2015.My wife came on visitor visa, we got WP for her later. She doesn't have SIN and she hasn't worked. What's the best way to file tax returns?

My wife came with me as dependent on visitor visa but we later got work permit for her. But since then she dropped any plans of working we didn't get her an SIN. She had no income last year.

I do not understand at the moment how do I show my spouse as dependent in my tax-returns. Do I need to get an SIN for her, I came across another terminology ITN as well, not sure how should I proceed.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I came to Canada on WP in 2015.My wife came on visitor visa, we got WP for her later. She doesn't have SIN and she hasn't worked. What's the best way to file tax returns?

Report yourself as Married and identify your spouse, using a SIN 000-000-000.
If she is living in Canada with you, you can claim spousal credit for her.

She can file her return for benefits if applicable, but would need a SIN.
( An ITN is an Individual Tax Number issued to non-residents, in lieu of a SIN).

It is best to check with CRA to determine your wife's residence for tax purposes.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Report yourself as Married and identify your spouse, using a SIN 000-000-000.
If she is living in Canada with you, you can claim spousal credit for her.

She can file her return for benefits if applicable, but would need a SIN.
( An ITN is an Individual Tax Number issued to non-residents, in lieu of a SIN).

It is best to check with CRA to determine your wife's residence for tax purposes.

Get your wife to apply for a SIN number. It will make life easier. They can usually do it instantly.

Thanks you!