Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't have the items listed (ie. "sold stocks, bonds...; sold home" etc.) but insists I need to upgrade to Premier service. Is there a glitch in your system?

Hi Chris - Were the stock options captured on a slip, or do you need to enter the amounts manually? I'm just trying to figure out what was checked off to trigger the upgrade.

I don't have the items listed (ie. "sold stocks, bonds...; sold home" etc.) but insists I need to upgrade to Premier service. Is there a glitch in your system?

Seems everyone is having the same issue. I originally ticked interest not covered on a T slip and the went back and unticked it. Cannot let me get through to standard. I don't need to upgrade. None of the fixes work. I've used Standard every year and have a simple tax return. Seems like Intuit are trying to force people into upgrading. There should at least be an option to decline the upgrade. Shame on you Intuit!

@swallowswing - I've tried to replicate this, but unless a box is checked off, the software always lets me go on in the return. Email me at tax_support@intuit.com. I will provide you, and anyone else on this thread who needs it, with a discount code to cover the costs of the upgrade. Go ahead and accept the upgrade and continue on with the tax return so you don't have to keep waiting. Just don't pay yet.

That way you can use TurboTax, transfer your tax data from last year, and have access to our Live Tax Advice service, all for the cost of the Standard return you have always used. We've heard it loud and clear from our loyal returning customers, and we're taking the right steps to earn our customers trust back.

I look forward to helping you.

- Clint

Please be aware that removing the check mark will also mean that you are not going to be asked about your sales of stocks , bonds, etc, and will also not allow you to enter in capital gains from those sales.

If you truly did sell stocks and bonds, and they are not reported on a T-Slip, you will need to check the box you had, and upgrade to the Premier version.

Post back if you need further assistance.

- Clint

Clint, does this also apply to interest earned on bank accounts? It hardly seems fair for TurboTax to demand that we upgrade to your premier version at double the price, all to enter one line on the tax form.

Thanks for the feedback, msalcioglu. I have passed this exact question to our product managers, as it came up the other day as well. The upgrade does currently apply to Banking Interest. We will review the triggers surrounding the Bank Interest portion of the interview to ensure the upgrade would actually benefit users with that specific income not reported on a slip. I'll post back with more details as they come available.

Thanks again.

- Clint
goaler33

I'm also being told to upgrade for my son because it says he had RRSP contributions or income from casual labour--neither of which I said he had! Help!

Does not answer the question! Awful system this year.

@goaler - Is that in the Free version of TurboTax Online? Check what is selected in the Tax Profile, including any boxes you unchecked that might have sub boxes still checked.
bigben1

I am having the same problem.  It keeps on asking me to Upgrade.  I do have banking interest, but not worth an upgrade.  I unchecked everything else, and my sale of stock was reported on a T-slip.