Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PZullo

I have $0 rental income so why is turbotax still asking me to upgrade to self-employed?

i do not have a rental income, yet being asked to upgrade before i can file?
5 Replies

I have $0 rental income so why is turbotax still asking me to upgrade to self-employed?

Does it say that you have a rental income? Did you have rental income last year, and imported last years return into this years?

PZullo

Yes, I imported my information from 2022, but I did indicate in the "tax situation" prompt before starting, that I did not have any rental income to declare for 2023.  I did have rental income in 2022, but I now live in the condo that I rented out in 2022.  This was not the only glitch.. (1) first glitch was the rental income; (2nd) I did not do any renovations, yet was prompted to enter information for the reno-tax credit...  entered 0 value just to move ahead; (3rd) I do not have a first home buyers amount to pay back yet kept being prompted to enter an amount.  It's frustrating!  I looked for answers (FAQ, forum, online...), but did not get any ... in order to file, I had to pay for the self-employed product for my simple, basic return.  I hope I can get a refund.  Thank you

You had rental income previously and you imported your information from last year, that is why it is showing up. If when you completed your taxes last year and entered that it was your last year of having a rental income then it would not have shown up. You would have had to open the form and close unused forms by going to Edit, Forms, and close unused forms or Start your income tax return from scratch.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

PZullo

Hello,

I've been using the same software for years so I am familiar with it.   I tried everything the software allowed me to try - edit/delete the section ... but nothing worked.  I know I definitely checked off that I did not have rental income to report on one of the first steps, yet I was still prompted... Point being that was charged for a product I did not need despite my efforts to edit the information. I would like a refund and only pay for the basic package.  Can you help me with that?   

You will need to contact our phone support team for a refund.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.