Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have been outside of Canada for the entire tax year. How do I register as non resident in TurboTax and how does it affect tax?

1 Reply

I have been outside of Canada for the entire tax year. How do I register as non resident in TurboTax and how does it affect tax?

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to provide you servicing. As per CRA, if you leave Canada on permanent basis then you declare yourself a non-resident of Canada but if you are working temporarily outside Canada, vacationing outside Canada, commuting (going back and forth daily or weekly) from Canada to your place of work in the United States, or attending school in another country, and you maintain residential ties with Canada, you may be considered a factual resident of Canada. 

If you were outside of Canada or stuck in a country due to COVID-19, you will file your tax return as a Resident of Canada. 

For further clarification please check this article on how to determine your resident status in Canada

In order to figure out how to file taxes check out our blog: How to File Taxes if You Left Canada During the Tax Year