Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I inherited a percentage of a property in 2023. We then sold this property in 2023. How do I put this in my return?

5 Replies

I inherited a percentage of a property in 2023. We then sold this property in 2023. How do I put this in my return?

Was the place where you inherited your primary residence?

No it wasn’t. It was a cottage that wasn’t being lived in. 

Capital gains tax comes into play if you sell the inherited home, and only if the home increases in value between the time you inherit it and the time you sell it. You're on the hook for taxes on 50% of the amount of that increase. 

Did you rent out this cottage?

Didn’t rent it out. I only owned 1/4 of it. How and where do I put this on my tax return?

You will need to report it in schedule 3. We suggest you contact the CRA as they will be able to assist you with more information that you may need. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.