Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I left Canada in 2021 and am unsure how to report the income earned abroad which is not on a T-Slip and taxed in Belgium. Please advise. I am deemed a non-resident

In the "Change of Residency" section, I can enter income earned abroad? Should I fill this out? Some help pages say yes, others no.
1 Reply

I left Canada in 2021 and am unsure how to report the income earned abroad which is not on a T-Slip and taxed in Belgium. Please advise. I am deemed a non-resident

When your residency status changes, it also changes the way your taxes are calculated. TurboTax gives you an opportunity to indicate when your status changed soon after you start your tax return.

Follow the applicable steps to enter your information into TurboTax:

Instructions for TurboTax Online

1. Select Find and enter province into the search field
  2. Select Province or Territory of Residence from the search results and then select Go
  3. Where did you live at end of the year? step, select Continue
  4. Did your Canadian residency change? step, answer Yes
  5. Follow the on-screen instructions and enter the date that applies to you

Enter Income from Canadian sources (excluding Part XIII income) for the part of the year when you were not a resident of Canada. (so Canadian income earned before entrance or after you ceased to be a resident).

Enter Income from Foreign sources, plus Canadian sourced Part XIII income, for the part of the year when you were not a resident of Canada(Foreign income earned before entrance or after you ceased to be a resident)

By entering your foreign income it is pro-rating your non-refundable for the days you were a resident in Canada. If you do not enter this info, it assumes all your income was from Canada and gives you full credit instead of the pro-ration.

Report only your  Canadian Income on the tax return. do not report any foreign income unless received while living in Canada.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.