Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rcmbrown

I live overseas and sold my Canadian property in 2021. I have a T2062 Certificate of Compliance. Do I need to declare a capital gain on my 2021 tax return? How do I file?

CRA withheld taxes for the certificate already. I'm assuming I can get a refund for overpaying, so want to make sure I fill out my tax forms properly.
1 Reply

I live overseas and sold my Canadian property in 2021. I have a T2062 Certificate of Compliance. Do I need to declare a capital gain on my 2021 tax return? How do I file?

Yes, if you earn Canadian income such as pension payments or if you dispose of capital property in Canada, you must file a return to report your Canadian income.

If you are a non-resident, you need to file a special tax return – Form 5013-R T1 (Income Tax and Benefit Return for Non-Residents and Deemed Residents of Canada).

If you don’t have a social Insurance Number, you need to obtain an Individual Tax Number using Form T1261 (Application for a CRA ITN for Non-Residents). You may have to file additional forms depending on the type of income you earn.

For more information to assist you with filing your Canadian Tax Return:, please click :
TurboTax Taxation for Non-Residents
TurboTax Canadian Tax Obligations If You Live Outside of Canada

A full guide from Canada Revenue Agency(CRA) Non-Residents and Income Tax 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.