Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cfr1

I moved in from Brazil last November. I was receiving a scholarship until October. Should I report that under Foreign Employment Income? What slip do I fill out for that?

5 Replies

I moved in from Brazil last November. I was receiving a scholarship until October. Should I report that under Foreign Employment Income? What slip do I fill out for that?

Are you a student or an employee? What type of scholarship? What is your residency status as well?
cfr1

A was a PhD student at the time. Now I am an employee

Do you have a TL11A  or any type of receipt for this amount?
cfr1

I have the document issue by the funding institution, which is in Portuguese.

To ensure accuracy in the calculations for proper foreign tax credit -please open a T4A slip - enter in the amount in box 105 as a FT student.  This will apply the scholarship correctly onto your tax return - Keep your receipt and note on it that you have applied this amount in the T4A box 105 for 2017 taxation year, in case you need to refer to it later.