Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay-Kay

I purchase a condominium as my qualifying home in 2015 occupancy November 2016 and closed/registered April 2017 how do I claim the HBTC?

On my 2015 tax return I advised that I purchased a new home but did not close (I checked line 369 and there was no value which I took to mean I did not qualify for the tax credit)

On my 2016 tax return there was no question specific to closing on my purchase so again it appears I did not qualify for the tax credit as line 369 was blank)

On my 2017 return near the end something popped up advising that I identified I moved and then asked me a few questions which led to being eligible for the return, however I had to notify CRA of my new address since it had changed. After doing so a few days later, I went to continue my tax return and I guess the program crashed and I had to start from scratch and when I got near the end there was no additional question like before which lead to qualifying me for the tax credit.

I am trying to determine where I can input that I am a first time home buyer to receive this credit.

Thanks

4 Replies

I purchase a condominium as my qualifying home in 2015 occupancy November 2016 and closed/registered April 2017 how do I claim the HBTC?

In easy step, please go to the profile. Answer yes to "did you buy a home, condo, apartment or mobile home this year? Check Yes to determine if you qualify for the first-time home buyers amount."

Kay-Kay

Hello, thanks for the quick response - I didn't think that I could do it that way since I answered yes to that question in 2015. Also the way the question is posed I only closed in 2017.. but  I will try it the way you have suggested. Thanks again much appreciated.

Since the home only qualified in 2017, this is how you would claim it. 🙂
Kay-Kay

OK perfect! Thanks