Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I was issued a common share certificate after exercising stock options and had to pay a 'tax fee' in order to do so. How/where do I claim this?

1 Reply

I was issued a common share certificate after exercising stock options and had to pay a 'tax fee' in order to do so. How/where do I claim this?

After you exercise an option or receive free stocks, your employer should note the value of the benefits you received, and he should report that amount in box 14 of your T4 slip. When filing your taxes, add together all of the numbers from box 14 on all of your T4 slips and write that sum on line 101 of your income tax return.

If you receive options as a shareholder rather than as an employee, they are not considered taxable employment benefits. Because of that, they are not reported on box 14 of your T4, but you may have to declare any earnings from these options as capital gains.

Also, you cannot claim any commission or brokerage fees paid from buying, selling, or managing securities. 

For more information, please see the TurboTax article: How Are Security Options Benefits Calculated and Taxed? 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.