Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I live at home with my parents, do I qualify for the OEPTC and NOEC?

1 Reply

If I live at home with my parents, do I qualify for the OEPTC and NOEC?

Yes, if you live at home you can qualify for the OEPTC and NOEC if you meet certain requirements. 

OEPTC - Ontario Energy and Property Tax Credit

The OEPTC is a two-part credit: an energy component and a property tax credit. You could apply for the OEPTC if you're eligible for either component. 

To be eligible for the energy component of the credit, you must meet the following requirements:

• you were a resident of Ontario on December 31, 2019, and one of the following conditions applies:
    • you will be 18 years of age or older
    • you have a spouse or common-law partner 
    • you are a parent who lives or previously lived with your child and
  • at least one of the following conditions applies to you:
    • rent for your principal residence, which was subject to Ontario municipal or education property tax, was paid by or for you
    • property tax for your principal residence in Ontario was paid by or for you
    • you lived on a reserve in Ontario and home energy costs (for example, electricity, heat) for your principal residence on the reserve were paid by or for you or
    • you lived in a public or non-profit long-term care home in Ontario and an amount for accommodation was paid by or for you

To be eligible for the property tax component of the credit, you must meet the following requirements:

• you were a resident of Ontario and one of the following conditions applies:
    • you have a spouse or common-law partner or
    • you are a parent who lives or previously lived with your child  and
    • rent for your principal residence, which was subject to Ontario municipal or education property tax, was paid by or for you
    • property tax for your principal residence was paid by or for you or
    • you lived in a designated Ontario university, college, or private school residence

You must be a resident of Ontario at the beginning of a month to receive that month's payment.

NOEC - Northern Ontario Energy Credit

The NOEC is designed to help low- to moderate-income Northern Ontario residents with the higher home energy costs they face living in the north.

To be eligible for the NOEC you must meet the following requirements:

• you were a resident of Northern Ontario, and one of the following conditions applies:
    • you have a spouse or common-law partner
    • you are a parent who lives or previously lived with your child and 
    • rent for your principal residence in Northern Ontario was paid by or for you
    • property tax for your principal residence in Northern Ontario was paid by or for you
    • you lived on a reserve in Northern Ontario and home energy costs (for example, electricity, heat) were paid for your principal residence on the reserve by or for you or
    • you lived in a public or non-profit long-term care home in Northern Ontario and an amount for accommodation was paid by or for you

You must be a resident of Northern Ontario at the beginning of a month to receive that month’s payment.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.