Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jgodard2

If I purchased a condo in 2017 for my daughter to go to university and I do not charge her rent (consider it a second home), do I have to inform CRA?

If I purchased a condo in 2017 for my daughter to go to university and I do not charge her rent (consider it a second home), do I have to inform CRA?  Is there any deductions I can claim if no rental income?  I also received an education tax credit on the second home as well - wondering how to report this?

1 Reply

If I purchased a condo in 2017 for my daughter to go to university and I do not charge her rent (consider it a second home), do I have to inform CRA?

Assuming the condo is in your name and not your daughter's name.

At the moment, there is nothing to report regarding this condo (there is no income related to this condo). When you sell it, you will have to report the capital gains on this property, as it will not be considered your principal residence (and therefore the gains are not sheltered under the principal residence exemption). 

As for the education tax credit, do you mean your daughter transferred her tuition to you? Could you elaborate on this tax credit? Is this specific to your province?