Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anitapercy
Returning Member

Immigrating in 2019. When putting in my foreign income prior to becoming a Canadian Resident, do I put the after tax amount? Current answers available are conflicting

There are a number of similar queries that pop up when I ask this, some say "yes you are correct" when asked if net income should be used and others refer to gross income. What is the correct answer and can the incorrect ones be removed please?
2 Replies

Immigrating in 2019. When putting in my foreign income prior to becoming a Canadian Resident, do I put the after tax amount? Current answers available are conflicting

Foreign income earned prior to arriving in Canada. We want to know about your world gross income. It boils down to whether you get a full year or is it prorated from your date of entry. Please review the links provided below for more detailed information from the CRA and TurboTax:

anitapercy
Returning Member

Reiterating old responses to queries is not helpful.

The links provided give general information about what information is needed not how to enter it. I can google those answers, I would like to know how to apply them to your software. 

If you would like to see gross income in the prior to moving to Canada section, where do I put my tax amount? If I try to put it in the tax credits section, it asks for my income again and gives a vastly different answer. 

As there is an absence of helpful direction and multiple attempts to clarify have not yielded an adequate result, will I be covered by the guarantee if I enter it incorrectly?