Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In 2017 I was residing in Canada until April post which I moved to US. Do I need to report my US income for 2017 tax year as foreign income or include form T2209?

I moved to US in May 2017 and was in Canada only until April. I haven't returned back to Canada but will need to file income tax for the income earned from Canadian sources while I was a resident in 2017. Do I need to report my US income as foreign income earned? If yes what is the process and how do I get credit for the tax already paid in US as US has double taxed me already for a portion of income in Canada (there is a upper limit per year for the foreign tax credit that can be claimed). Do I need to include form 2209 with my return?

1 Reply
james_v5s

In 2017 I was residing in Canada until April post which I moved to US. Do I need to report my US income for 2017 tax year as foreign income or include form T2209?

Yes. You will need to file both US and Canada tax return as dual resident status. and you will also get tax paid deduction from both US and Canada return. Hope it helps