Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interest paid on a mortgage for a rental property. Do i claim this under carrying charges and investment expenses or in the rental property expense section?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Interest paid on a mortgage for a rental property. Do i claim this under carrying charges and investment expenses or in the rental property expense section?

You would enter your interest paid on your mortgage for your rental property under rental property expenses. 

1. You will log into your return
  2. On the left-hand side menu go to Income- scroll down to Rental properties.
  3. When you get to your Rental Profile - check off the box that says "Rental Expenses".
  4. Continue
  5. Now you will be on the T776 Rental Expense page where you will see the third line is interest- please enter the amount here.
  6. Continue 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You would enter your interest paid on your mortgage for your rental property under rental property expenses. 

1. You will log into your return
  2. On the left-hand side menu go to Income- scroll down to Rental properties.
  3. When you get to your Rental Profile - check off the box that says "Rental Expenses".
  4. Continue
  5. Now you will be on the T776 Rental Expense page where you will see the third line is interest- please enter the amount here.
  6. Continue 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

You should claim it under the rental property expense section. 

Please follow these two TurboTax Articles to understand more about the differences between Claiming Carrying Charges and Interest Expenses and Claiming Expenses on Rental Properties

Thank you for using TurboTax.

Thank you for your answers, it is as I thought but just wanted to be sure!