Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a recipient of gifted cryptocurrency subject to Capital Gains if they sell the asset immediately after they received it?

Here is a fake example which is made up. Let’s say I gift a family member $10,000 worth in Bitcoin. I understand that in Canada gifting crypto is considered a disposition by the CRA so I would pay any capital gains I gained while I held it. And for the recipient, their Fair Market Value would be the day they received it.

So if I gifted them $10,000 in Bitcoin, and they were to sell the Bitcoin for $10,000 immediately after receiving it, I am wondering if they would have to pay any Capital Gains tax.
1 Reply
Moussi2

Is a recipient of gifted cryptocurrency subject to Capital Gains if they sell the asset immediately after they received it?

When you gift, use, sell, or exchange cryptocurrency, it is considered a disposition for tax purposes requiring the reporting of either business income/loss or capital gain/loss, depending on the circumstances. Ultimately, the tax results are very similar if you are holding or trading company shares

As per CRA, for gifts to qualified donees of certain types of capital property, the capital gains inclusion rate is reduced to zero. Please read the full section on the CRA webpage about capital property and capital gains.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.