Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nlc_2
Returning Member

My husband and I moved over 40 km for work. We listed the house Jun 2016 when we left. The house sold Jan 17. Can we claim moving expenses for a new home we buy in 2017?

My husband and I moved over 40 km for my work. We listed our house as soon as we left in June 2016. Our house didn't sell until January 2017. We are going to purchase a house in 2017. Can we claim Moving Expenses on our 2017 tax return for the purchase of our new house? Thanks.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My husband and I moved over 40 km for work. We listed the house Jun 2016 when we left. The house sold Jan 17. Can we claim moving expenses for a new home we buy in 2017?

Hi

Yes, you can claim the home expense in the year following the actual work move - always within a reasonable timeframe.  In your case since the house expenses were incurred in 2017, they must be claimed in that tax year.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Hi

Yes, you can claim the home expense in the year following the actual work move - always within a reasonable timeframe.  In your case since the house expenses were incurred in 2017, they must be claimed in that tax year.