Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
taupas84

My husband & I purchased a house in June. We spent 4 months renovating it before it was rented out in Oct. Can I claim rental expenses & CCA during this 4 month period?

1 Reply

My husband & I purchased a house in June. We spent 4 months renovating it before it was rented out in Oct. Can I claim rental expenses & CCA during this 4 month period?

As per CRA: You claim rental income and expenses on Form T776. Include rent collected from tenants as rental income in the current tax year. Claim tax deductions for any expenses related to your rental property. Common rental property expenses include home insurance, heat, hydro, water, and mortgage insurance. Claim the full amount of expenses if it is for a rental property, but only a percentage if it is for part of your principal residence.

Rental ExpensesYou can deduct any reasonable expenses you incur to earn rental income.

For more information on what we consider a current or capital expense, go to Current expenses or capital expenses.

Some expenses you incur are not deductible. For more information, go to Rental expenses you cannot deduct.

Repairs and maintenance

You can deduct the cost of labor and materials for any minor repairs or maintenance done to the property you use to earn income. You cannot deduct the value of your own labor.

You cannot deduct costs you incur for repairs that are capital in nature. However, you can claim the capital cost allowance. 

Capital Cost Allowance: which enhances the value of the property. For instance: if you upgraded the floors from carpet to hardwood to increase the value of your property, the expenses have to be added to the value of the property and depreciated in time. 

Please let us know if you require any further assistance, we would be glad to guide you through.