Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gtea90

My permanent mailing address is in Mississauga. However, for the school year I live and work on a Northern Ontario reserve where I also pay rent. Do I qualify for NOEC?

1 Reply

My permanent mailing address is in Mississauga. However, for the school year I live and work on a Northern Ontario reserve where I also pay rent. Do I qualify for NOEC?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax. As per CRA, you may be eligible for NOEC, if

• you were a resident of Northern Ontario on December 31, 2020, and one of the following conditions applies:
    • you will be 18 years of age or older before June 1, 2022
    • you had a spouse or common-law partner on or before December 31, 2020, or
    • you are a parent who lives or previously lived with your child  and
  • for 2020, at least one of the following conditions applies to you:
    • rent for your principal residence in Northern Ontario was paid by or for you
    • property tax for your principal residence in Northern Ontario was paid by or for you
    • you lived on a reserve in Northern Ontario and home energy costs (for example, electricity, heat) were paid for your principal residence on the reserve by or for you or
    • you lived in a public or non-profit long-term care home in Northern Ontario and an amount for accommodation was paid by or for you.

For more information, use the following link: Northern Ontario Energy Credit Questions and Answers 

You can always send us a private message via Twitter or Facebook.