Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aceu21

My spouse works as an international officer for the UN (tax free salary). He does not have a foreign income tax slip. How do I enter his income?

1 Reply

My spouse works as an international officer for the UN (tax free salary). He does not have a foreign income tax slip. How do I enter his income?

If your spouse doesn’t have a slip for his UN income, you can enter it as “Other Employment Income”. To do this in TurboTax Online:

1. At the top right of the page, click the "Find" icon (magnifying glass).
  2. When the search bar appears, type in “tips”, select “Tips, Gratuities, and Other Employment Income” from the list, then click the “Go” button.
  3. This will take you to the Other Employment Income Sources page. Here you can enter any employment income that your spouse earned but didn’t get a T-slip for. 
  4. Click the Continue button to save your work.

Then, you can claim a deduction equal to your spouse’s income, so that the amount will not be taxed. To do this in TurboTax Online:

1. At the top right of the page, click the "Find" icon (magnifying glass).
  2. When the search bar appears, type in “mis”, select “Miscellaneous Deductions” from the list, then click the “Go” button.
  3. This will take you to the Other Deductions page. Click the “Continue” button to go to the second page.
  4. On the Additional Deductions page, you’ll find a space for “Employment with a prescribed international organization”. Here you can enter your spouse’s UN income. 
  5. Click the “Continue” button to save your work.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.