Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My wife has condo in Russia There is no income from it. She did not disclose this condo in the previous years since she became PR. Is there a penalty for late disclosure?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My wife has condo in Russia There is no income from it. She did not disclose this condo in the previous years since she became PR. Is there a penalty for late disclosure?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

First of all, you only need to disclose the foreign property in the year when the total cost of property is more than  CAN$100,000. To disclose that property you need to fill T1135 form. 

As there is no income from property which means this is used for personal use as per the Canada Revenue Agency Real property

So there is no penalty in your case and you do not need to report this property.

If you still want to disclose this property so you can do with Voluntary Disclosures Program.

Read this article for more information:https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tips/declaring-foreign-property-on-your-tax-return-6217

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

First of all, you only need to disclose the foreign property in the year when the total cost of property is more than  CAN$100,000. To disclose that property you need to fill T1135 form. 

As there is no income from property which means this is used for personal use as per the Canada Revenue Agency Real property

So there is no penalty in your case and you do not need to report this property.

If you still want to disclose this property so you can do with Voluntary Disclosures Program.

Read this article for more information:https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tips/declaring-foreign-property-on-your-tax-return-6217

Thanks for the quick reply. Our main concern is if we decide to sell this property down the road and CRA doesn't know about it we will likely going to pay a hefty tax on this once the money brought to Canada.