Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error: Your spouse must apply for the Senior Homeowner's Property Tax Credit b/c they are 64 years old or older. The spouse is deceased. Can't get rid of this error.

I'm completing tax returns separately, as required when a spouse is deceased. The error pops up on the living spouse's return, and when I go to fix the error, my only options are No claim or the living spouse. Either option still results in the error. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
5 Replies

Error: Your spouse must apply for the Senior Homeowner's Property Tax Credit b/c they are 64 years old or older. The spouse is deceased. Can't get rid of this error.

Please find follow the below instructions how to remove the dependent amount:

Remove this credit in TurboTax Online

1. Select Find (or the magnifying glass icon) from the menu
  2. Enter amount for an eligible dependant, and select Go. The Your children and other dependants screen appears
  3. Select Enter Credit Info. The Claim Dependant Credits screen appears
  4. If you haven’t already done so, check the box for Amount for an eligible dependant, then select Continue
  5. Answer No to the question Do you wish to make the claim for the amount for an eligible dependant?, and select Continue
  6. Repeat steps 3–5 for each of your dependants
  7. When you’re done entering all of your dependants, select Done Entering Credits

Remove this credit in TurboTax CD/Download

1. Select Find (or the magnifying glass icon) from the menu
  2. Enter claims for dependants, and select Go. The Claims for dependants screen appears
  3. Answer Yes to the question Would you like to review or claim any of these credits?, then select Continue
  4. Select your first (or only) dependant from the list, then select Enter Dependant Credits
  5. Check the box for Amount for an eligible dependant, then select Continue
  6. Answer No to the question Do you wish to make the claim for the amount for an eligible dependant (formerly the "Equivalent-to-spouse amount")?, then select Continue
  7. Repeat steps 4–6 for each of your dependants
  8. When you’re done entering all of your dependants, select Done Entering Credits

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Thank you, but this didn't solve the error. The error is not about a defendant, but rather about the spouse (in this case, the deceased spouse). The deceased spouse cannot apply for the homeowner's property tax credit (it's not even an option on the drop-down). Any other advice?

Thanks!

I want to assume you are referring to the Ontario Senior Homeowners' Property Tax Grant, which can be found in the "Provincial" section of your tax return. You can uncheck this option and then try. 

Please find attached the screenshot that will guide you.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Thank you. Yes, this is for Ontario. It is already unchecked, hence why I'm stuck 🙂

Actually, I think your response just helped me solve it. On the following screen (after the one you took a screenshot of), it says that the other spouse has to apply for the credit, and so I checked that off to say "No" so it says that the surviving spouse will not be applying for this credit, and now the error is gone. Thank you!