Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
English EN

Pick a language

Canada Français United States of America English
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

How do I enter a capital loss for the sale of a rental property?

1 Reply
Level 6

How do I enter a capital loss for the sale of a rental property?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax,

As per CRA, you cannot have a capital loss when you sell depreciable property.   You can have a terminal loss. For more information, go to Column 6 – Undepreciated capital cost (UCC) after additions and dispositions (column 2 plus column 3....


However, you can claim terminal loss from your rental income. As per CRA,  you will have a terminal loss when you have no more property in the class at the end of a year, but you still have an amount you have not deducted as capital cost allowance (CCA).

In the year you dispose of your rental property, you can subtract this terminal loss from your rental income and, if the loss is more than your rental income, you can create a rental loss.


Please visit the website of CRA on Selling your rental property and see our TurboTax article on Dos and Don’ts: CCA for Rental Property Explained to learn more about selling rental properties.